Modular vs. Prefab: Differences & Benefits
Modular vs. Prefab: Differences & Benefits
MODULAR HOMES FOR SALE
Modly provides and develops communities with modular homes that can be considered prefab in nature. While these terms may seem interchangeable, they are not the same thing. While the modular homes we provide are prefabricated, not all prefabricated buildings are modular. Modly offers modular, prefabricated buildings that are cost-effective and offer a space solution for residential and commercial properties.
WHAT IS PREFAB?
Prefab refers to a pre-made individual piece or part of an overall building structure. Prefab structures and materials are always created off-site in a climate-controlled factory environment, meaning their quality is unmatched. Prefabricated materials or modules are later transported to an on-site location for installation.
TYPES OF PREFAB STRUCTURES
Examples of prefabricated structures that can be used in modular construction include:
- Bathroom pods
- Assembled ductwork
- Precast walls, staircases, or floors
- Window panels
Modular buildings are fully encapsulated, volumetric modules made with prefabricated materials. The use of pre-made components makes the process of modular construction much faster. Find your retirement, vacation, or rental income property here at Modly.
PREFABRICATED MODULAR CONSTRUCTION PROCESS
Mighty Buildings manufactures 3D-printed ADU structures and homes utilizing prefabricated materials. Mighty Buildings creates custom modular buildings utilizing prefabricated and sustainable materials. This method of additive manufacturing keeps costs lower and cuts down on construction time, meaning you or your organization gets its structure faster.
CHOOSE & DESIGN A HOME
Modly offers an extensive array of prefabricated and modular homes. We are delighted to chat with you about what your specific needs are in your next rental, income, or vacation home you have piqued your interest in, so you can have more peace of mind knowing we have curated the needs of many special clients. Additionally, we are happy to help create your custom plan as we discuss the size of the space you require, what layout will serve you best, and what materials and aesthetics fit your style and intention.
During this phase, we will also assess your pre-owned land to make sure it’s suitable. If you require land, we have thousands of pre-vetted parcels to choose from.
Once your plans are finalized, our partners will begin the module build(s) in a climate-controlled factory. This process is streamlined and free from weather hazards or site-related delays, so you can be assured your project timeline will not fall behind. Everything from the doors to the floors to the plumbing to the painting is completed to perfection before the structure leaves the warehouse to be placed on your site.
TRANSPORTATION & INSTALLATION
Your new modular building is almost ready for use! Our team will take great care in loading the module, transporting it to the site, and moving it onto the prepared foundation (often via crane). Once the utilities are turned on, your new space is ready to use and enjoy.
BENEFITS OF USING PREFABRICATED CONSTRUCTION
There are many advantages to utilizing prefab materials in new, modular construction, including:
- Less crew required: When using prefabricated materials, there is less work to do from scratch. A smaller team can complete a project in a shorter amount of time compared to a larger team creating every piece by hand. This will also help you save money.
- No manufacturer-related setbacks: If the prefabricated materials are already at the factory site, there are no potential issues when it comes to waiting for components to ship. Prefabricated construction ensures your builders are in control of the timeline and can stick to it.
- Quicker turnaround time: A prefabricated building can be completed much faster than a traditional on-site stick build. While the site excavation is underway, the entire building can be constructed at a different facility—no waiting weeks or even months and dealing with possible site delays. As soon as the site is fully prepped, the prefab structure is ready to set.
- Cost-effective structure: Prefabricated construction offers savings by nature, as the process is more efficient and repeatable.
- Superior quality: With the prefab materials and buildings being constructed inside, they are safe from weather-related issues and often are completed to a higher standard than site-built projects.
- More sustainable: There is significantly less material waste with prefabricated, modular buildings. Every step and component is detailed and accounted for to a higher degree than traditional site-built construction processes.
- Less site disruption: There is much less noise pollution, emissions from construction equipment, and foot traffic with modular construction. Post-site prep, the only work that will need to be completed on-site is the installation of the finished building.
SUSTAINABLE MODULAR HOMES OFFERED BY MODLY
Modly currently offers sustainable modular and 3D-printed homes fit for every client and their needs. Mighty Buildings and Connect Homes offer an array of models and sizes that are modular, sustainable, and beautifully designed.
- Mighty Buildings is a construction technology company based in Oakland, CA that creates beautiful, sustainable, and high-quality homes using advanced materials with their patented 3D printing technology and robotics automation. Mighty Buildings’ sustainable 3D printed modular houses are built with no waste and much faster than traditional construction. Mighty Buildings have invented a thermoset composite material called Light Stone Material (LSM), which hardens under exposure to UV light, making it a more robust and sustainable building material.
- Connect Homes builds prefabricated homes in their San Bernardino warehouse, using an assembly-line construction process that cuts the time, waste, and headaches associated with building or remodeling a home.
Choosing your future with a modular home is beneficial for the earth and for the self. Ensuring a sustainable future begins locally, by creating a sustainable community using net-zero construction and quality, withstanding eco-friendly materials. Choose your next vacation home with Modly.